Historic WWII Cannon Comes to Andover
It was in December of 2009 that the Andover Board of Selectman first named the .6 ac. parcel at the corner of Rt. 316 and Rt. 6, Andover Veterans Monument Park. Once the park was named an effort was undertaken to have a sign erected to identify the park. Fundraising was done and the new big sign with lights was erected in July of 2011. Immediately after the sign was put in place the idea to have a cannon at the park emerged.
This is not an easy task, but retired Army First Sgt. Gerry Wright of Andover under took the challenge and has been vigorously pursuing acquiring a cannon for a static display at the Veterans Monument Park.
It is Andover’s good fortune that Gerry Wright located an appropriate piece of armament at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #2046 in Manchester, CT. Their building has been sold and Post #2046 no longer had a need for the Japanese, Anti-Tank Gun, 37 mm with Carriage that resided on the Post’s front lawn since 1945. The cannon will be on loan from the US Department of Defense Army Donations Program Office. The title will remain with the US Army with custodianship to the Town of Andover.
The cannon was removed from its Manchester location on May 19 by a small group of men from Andover who loaded it onto a trailer. It will be stored while specialized restoration work is performed by a wheelwright to repair broken wooden wheel spokes and site preparations are made at the Andover Veterans Monument Park.
The pictures below are from the September 2016 dedication of the cannon at Veterans Monument Park in Andover. The ceremony was attended by members of CMCC in support of Jerry Wright’s exceptional efforts to relocate the cannon.